Thursday, August 02, 2007

Interstate I-35W, Minnesota

I have been in Minnesota visiting family. My daughter took me to the airport last evening for my return flight, leaving at 6:50 PM. After I checked my bag, we all exchanged hugs, kisses and tears. Shortly before 6 PM she and her daughters headed for home while I started through security.

Since the gate for my flight was at the other end of the huge Twin Cities airport, I spent much of the remaining time before my flight on the walkway. Not long after I reached the gate, we were allowed to board the plane. As the plane was taxiing toward the runway for take off, a man in the seat behind me told his seat companion about the collapse of 35W. Within minutes we passed over the bridge and I saw first hand the devastation through the window of the plane.

Although not very familiar with the incredible Minnesota highway system, I knew 35W was a major highway and recalled being on it when we were touring St. Paul. It wasn't the highway that I expected my daughter to be taking home, but could not help having doubts. As smooth as the NorthWest flight home was, I was relieved when we were finally allowed to turn our cell phones back on and I heard the voices so dear to me.

Knowing what I went through, my heart goes out to the families not as fortunate as I.







Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...

No comments: