Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Windows 7

I have avoided posting anything on Windows 7, the successor to Windows Vista, because the only information available at this time is rumor and speculation.

Although very little information was disclosed, the lines of communication from Microsoft are beginning to open. I suggest starting with this background post at the Windows Vista Team Blog, Communicating Windows 7. From there, move on to the interview of Steve Sinofsky at c|net by Ina Fried, Windows chief talks '7'. I was pleased to see these remarks by Sinofsky:
"We're very clear that drivers and software that work on Windows Vista are going to work really well on Windows 7; in fact, they'll work the same. We're going to not introduce additional compatibilities, particularly in the driver model."

. . .

"Finally, we are going to make sure that the release is available both in 32 bit and 64 bit, which is an additional help for maintaining compatibility, particularly with device drivers. As the 64-bit ecosystem catches up, we expect more and more people, particularly enthusiasts, to be running 64 bit. For many people that's a great scenario today. I know I run 64 bit on most of my machines, including my primary laptop."
I did get the impression that it isn't believed 64 Bit Windows is used by regular "home consumers":
"It's actually professional graphics people who use it, industrial design uses it. There are a lot of segments that are very active in using it."
Let's see if this is hype or true. Watch D6">Windows 7 at D6:

"So those rumors about Microsoft Windows 7 making an early debut at D6?

They’re true. During tonight’s interview with Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Chairman Bill Gates, Microsoft (MSFT) will demonstrate Windows 7’s all-new user interface.

Check back here this evening for exclusive all-access coverage of the announcement."


Other interesting reports:




Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've noticed that even though I know I never touch my laptop screen, it always gets filthy.

I can't imagine what a touch screen will look like. :)

Bill